2018 Songwriting Competition – Things to remember
- The competition is for 11-18 year olds from London
- We will only accept completely original material (No covers or existing backing tracks)
- The track must be of decent quality recording and accompanied by at least one instrument or backing track.
- You will be in a stronger position if your song has a clear structure i.e. verse / pre chorus/ chorus / bridge etc.
- Lyrical content must not glorify anything that could be deemed inappropriate ie. violence, sexism, prejudice, exploitation, racism or offensive language.
- Feedback from our panel of industry professionals.
- An Orbitsound bluetooth speaker for the winner and 4 runners up.
- Studio time at Raw Material.
- The opportunity to perform at our 2018 Summer Showcase.
Enter here: https://sgs.typeform.com/to/Bj90cE
Our Songwriting panel / judges:
Renell Shaw is an international Songwriter, Musician and Producer. He has collaborated, recorded and toured alongside artists such as Rudimental, Jess Glynne, Skepta, Maverick Sabre, Mr Jukes, Aloe Blacc, Nitin Sawhney, Speech Debelle, Amplify Dot and Carleen Anderson amongst others.
As a Musical Director, Composer and Conductor he has worked with Google, Barclays, London Symphony Orchestra, BBC, U.N.E.S.C.O, The Hackney Empire Theatre, Britten Sinfonia, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Southbank Centre and London Philharmonic Orchestra.
Clare Scivier, has spent 20 years working in A&R at major labels, publishing and management companies. After witnessing a change in the artist development practices of the business and changes in income streams, Clare decided to find a new way of developing musical talent that puts health and sustainability first. For the past eight years, she has practiced as a behavioural psychologist using techniques from the fields of neuro-linguistic programming, cognitive behavioural therapy and emotional freedom technique.
With a track record for penning songs for others, you may be familiar with her words and melodies on songs by the likes of Bastille, Leona Lewis, Naughty Boy, Girls Aloud and UK Rapper Wretch 32 (whose 2011 UK Number 1 “Don’t Go” was a gold certified single and Maiday’s first ever writing/production credit).
Jonny Lattimer’s first major collaboration was with Ellie Goulding. He struck gold with her writing amongst others ‘The Writer’ and the global smash ‘Starry Eyed’ that cemented Ellie as a world-class artist. Since then he’s quietly established himself as one of the most sought after collaborators for the cream of UK talent, including Tom Odell, Bipolar Sunshine, Ella Eyre, Kwabs, Rebecca Ferguson and Sinead Harnett.
In 2005 Ted invented the concept of ‘airSOUND’, a new way of listening to stereo or ‘spatial’ sound with significant advantages over ‘2-speakers’ and more conventional processes. In 2006, Thames Valley University in London, awarded an honorary degree to Ted in the form of Fellowship of the University in recognition of services to the art of sound recording.
In 2008 Ted founded Orbitsound as a manufacturer in order to promote the ‘airSOUND’ principle in real consumer electronics products. The company has become a recognised brand for high quality loudspeakers.
Need some help / inspiration? Here’s Songwriting 101 – With Brandon Bennett.